Pavers are a popular choice for outdoor landscaping and hardscaping projects. While they are quite durable, they do suffer from wear and tear over time. When this happens, they may look faded, damaged, or simply abandoned irrespective of how much care you give them. The good thing is there are a few things you can do to restore pavers. In this post, we will be taking a look at some of the best tips you can use when restoring pavers.
- Clean the pavers: The first step when you want to restore pavers is to thoroughly clean them. You should use a pressure washer in order to remove dirt, grime, and other debris from the pavers. Only use cleaning solutions that are specifically designed for pavers. The wrong cleaner can damage your pavers further. Consult a paver for advice on the best cleaner.
- Repair cracks or chips: Cleaning pavers will significantly improve the look of your pavers but will definitely not fix chips and cracks. If your pavers are cracked or chipped, you need to repair them. You can do so using a matching paver patching material. Make sure you clean the damaged area before applying the patching material. Do not forget to smooth the material out with a trowel.
- Replace damaged pavers: When you have pavers that are severely damaged or beyond repair, the best course of action is to replace them. Always use replacement pavers that match the existing ones in color, size, and pattern.
- Re-sand the joints: It is common for sand between the pavers to be swept away. If the sand between your pavers has been compacted or washed away, you should re-sand the joints before the pavers start shifting. You can use polymeric sand that is designed for pavers.
- Seal the pavers: Sealing the pavers can help protect them from damage and staining. Sealing also simplifies cleaning. Work with an experienced contractor to choose a high-quality paver sealer that is compatible with your specific type of paver. Keep in mind that you will have to reseal the pavers after a couple of months.
It is not as complicated to restore pavers. However, if you are not confident with your DIY skills, you should strongly consider hiring a professional paver restoration specialist. These specialists will have the tools, materials, and expertise to effectively restore your pavers and ensure look their best for the longest time. Following the aforementioned tips will help you effectively restore your pavers and make them look as good as new.